Wired Living

Friday 6 April 2007

Thin Client LCD Interface - Stage 1

Recieved the TC-10 I ordered last week - and have started having a play.

Arrived well packaged with wireless keyboard - but absolutely no instructions or drivers.

Took me around 5 minutes to work out how to turn it on too - which wasn't a good start! (the switch is a board mounted micro pushbutton which isn't labelled either!)

Visited their site, and downloaded alll the drivers required. didn't have a large Compact Flash card so purchased one off ebay ($20 for a 1 GB - more than enough to install a basic o/s)

I previously purchased an IDE>Compact flash adaptor - so simply used that and plugged it into my normal pc - booted off a 98 floppy (thanks to: http://www.bootdisk.com) fdisk'ed & formatted the CF card, transferred system, and copied the win98 setup files onto it (I knew my old 98 cd would come in handy one day!) & the lan/video/sound/touch drivers from EarthLCD's site.

Next mission was to get the TC-10 to boot off it.

Plugged in the CF - and booted it up.. No luck - got the old non system disk error.

After I while I worked out that it had an on board 32mb "disk on chip" which I had to disable (was set to the primary) in the BIOS, and also had to enable Dos support, and selected win95 as the operating system (never seen that before in a bios!)

Did the trick - Booted straight away, so installed win 98 (damn it looks dated), the drivers, and all was good!

Next step was to get a terminal services client up and running - first I tried was from my old Windows 2000 server - but the client doesn't do full screen or auto logging on - so after a quick google I found the updated client built for XP http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx which works well in 98 - and allows settings to be saved as RDP config files!.. So now automatic connections are working

Stage 1 complete:
  • I have a working touch controlled thin client (for under $700!)
  • Boots straight into a remote desktop session
  • Connects directly to my MCE box (as a test).

Stage 2
  • Clean up the Thin Client OS (remove components I don't need)
  • Create a custom boot/shutdown graphics ( so it doesn't look like Win98)
  • Create a nice desktop image (As it takes a couple of seconds between booting up and connecting rdp)
  • Hide desktop icons/start bar (again - to lose the Win98 "Feel " :P)

Stage 3

  • Build the touchscreen UI (this will one take a while :o) )

Will keep you posted - and maybe get some photos up soon.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Derrick: I picked up 2 of these panels from EarthLCD and having issues with setup. These appears to be IBM based NetVista boards. Curious how you got into the Bios, as IBM seems to recommend the ESC key during bootup. Is that what got you in? Thanks.

    Dan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10 October 2007 at 5:05 am  

  • Derrick: I picked up 2 of these panels from EarthLCD and having issues with setup. These appears to be IBM based NetVista boards. Curious how you got into the Bios, as IBM seems to recommend the ESC key during bootup. Is that how got you in? Thanks.

    Dan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10 October 2007 at 5:07 am  

  • Been a good few months now - so can't remember exactly.

    I'm pretty sure it was F1 or F3 on boot or could have been Tab?

    Just repeatedly hit F1, F3, TAB on boot :)

    By Blogger Derrick, At 10 October 2007 at 8:34 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home